Monday, May 23, 2011

Dear Customer Service Personell:

I write to you knowing exactly the position in which you find yourself.  I have personally worked in customer service for the past seven years.  I know how ignorant a customer’s question can seem or how simple a solution may seem to you, and I understand your frustration in dealing with those situations.  With that in mind, I always approach you with only intelligent, well-thought-out, planned questions or inquiries.  So, no matter how frustrated the idiot in front of me may have mad you, please don’t take it out on me. 

Recently, I called you to order a pizza.  This is how our conversation went:
           
            “Generic Pizza Place,” you said. 

            “Yes, I need to place an order for pick up,” I replied.

            “Last name?” you asked. 

            “Last name’s Blankenship,” I said. 

            “What do you need?”

            “I’d like two of your large takeout specials…”

            “Cheese or Pepperoni?” you cut me off. 

            “One cheese and one pepperoni,” I said. 

            “Anything else?” you asked exasperated. 

            “Can I get a side of banana peppers?” I asked hesitantly.

            “Anything else?” you repeated in the same tone.

            “I’d like an order of breadsticks with cheese, also,” I said. 

            “Anything else,” you repeated exactly the same way. 

            “No that’ll do it,” I said. 

            “It’ll be about twenty minutes,” you replied AS you hung up the phone. 

Again, let me reiterate that I know what you’ve been through.  I know the people you’ve dealt with all day, but I am not one of those people.  Having done a job similar to yours I make sure not to be the jerk on the other side.  Seriously though, you could have at least offered a “thanks” or something similar.  If nothing else, you could have not been so flat during our conversation.  I’ll probably call you again the next time I need to order pizza, but that decision will be based solely upon the proximity in which your location is to my house…nothing more. 

I see you all the time rolling your eyes at the customer in front of me.  That’s probably not the best idea, but you keep on rollin’.  You often times even sigh heavily under your breath when asked certain questions.  Oh, I know!  I’ve worked in places that purchased products back from customers for cash or in-store credit.  I know! 

Still, I always found it within myself to hold back the use of outwardly direct signs of frustration and anger.  I was sometimes not as talkative or overly helpful, but I never directly showed the customer how much the previous person had gotten under my skin. 

Here’s an idea: if you don’t like your job, find another one.  Don’t put this off until tomorrow. Don’t sit around waiting on someone to contact you and make you the offer of your dreams.  You will never get that call or e-mail.  You have to go out and make things happen for yourself.  So, please, walk away from that part of your life as quickly as possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment